Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 23


The weather hasn't been the greatest here in Santo Domingo, since it has been pouring rain the past couple mornings. This has seriously impeded my ability to work with the baseball players, since the field has been a mud bowl for the past few days. However, we did get a chance to hand out the equipment that the group from Winston-Salem brought with them.

On Monday, I made my way to the baseball field with four bags of equipment to hand out to the players in the local baseball academy. One of the leaders of the Winston-Salem group who I had been in contact with, Scott Haynie, came with me to help distribute the equipment to the players. It was amazing what he had been able to gather in such a short amount of time. The bags were full of baseballs, pants, gloves, cleats, helmets, and other things that the players desperately needed. It was an awesome opportunity that showed so much evidence of God's provision. Scott and I had gotten in contact just about a week before his group came down, and in that short time, there were so many donations and the players were able to get so much that they desperately needed. To show their appreciation for the donations, the younger kids put on a scrimmage using the new equipment. I'm so thankful that we were able to get everything in and disperse it to the players who needed it. It was truly a blessing to see them receive what may be the first new glove or pair of cleats they have ever had.

Hopefully the rain will hold off the rest of the week and I'll be able to have a few more English lessons with the players and maybe get another game in too. It's hard to believe that my time here is coming to an end, but I'm looking forward to seeing how God works over these last few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment